Sunday, January 23, 2011

How to Get a Job, According to Last Night's Dream

Last night I had a dream in which I was walking around an outdoor shopping center.  I came to a store that was closed and locked up, with the lights off and no one inside.  I looked through the window and saw that it was a store that sold nothing but socks.  Then I noticed something on the wall next to the door.  It looked like a fire alarm.  It was a small glass box containing a small ax, with a tiny hammer hanging on a cord from the box.  There were words printed on the glass box.  The words were: DO YOU WANT A JOB HERE? or DO YOU WANT TO WORK HERE?  Something like that...I can't remember exactly now.  Then my sister came walking by and I showed her what the box said.  She said, "Hmm...I guess go for it.  Why not." (or something to that effect).  So I took the tiny hammer and shattered the glass box, removed the small ax and used it to break the lock on the door.  I opened the door and went inside, and suddenly the lights were on and a woman was inside working behind the counter.  She introduced herself as the manager and was very friendly.  She asked me if I wanted a job there.  "It's only part time," she said, "and it's only $9 an hour, but I think it's a very pleasant and relaxed working environment."  "Yes," I said, "I would like to work here part time, that would be great."  She hired me on the spot, after filling out some basic paperwork.  She told me that I just need to walk around and help the customers, and keep an eye out for anyone trying to steal anything.  "No problem," I said.  Then suddenly it wasn't a sock store anymore, it was a jewelry store.  She asked me if I liked jewelry, and I said yes.  I walked around the store to familiarize myself with the merchandise, and some customers came in and I greeted them.  Then suddenly it wasn't a jewelry store anymore, it was a clothing store.  It may have been the Gap (I worked there back in high school).  Suddenly I wasn't the only employee anymore, there were about ten other people working there as well, mostly teenagers, and there was now a co-manager as well, a man who looked to be about my age. Also, the size of the store had greatly increased.  The manager had us all go around and introduce ourselves.  I said I was a poet, an artist and a musician.  The co-manager excitedly said to me "I saw where you went to graduate school on your resume!  That place is awesome!"  I think we both recognized we were about the same age, while all the other employees were teenagers, so it seemed like we'd probably become friends.  Then the manager gave us all some free clothes, including a puffy black wintry vest and a red sweater.  I didn't like the red sweater and later on when I left work I realized the security tag was still on it.

...More happened in the dream, but it's not relevant to the topic of jobs...

...Sooo...I guess, if you want a job you have to break the door down...?

No comments:

Post a Comment