Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Short and Non-Sweet Anachronistic Story

A little while after graduating from college in 2004, I went for an interview at a temp. agency.  The interview was pretty typical, I took some computer skills tests, editing tests, and had my resume reviewed.  Toward the end of the interview, the woman interviewing me told me, very seriously, that I "need to, from now on, when going on interviews and going into work, adhere to something [she] refers to as The Three P's: Pearls, Pantyhose and Pumps."  I was shocked! Come again?  What year is this?!  A woman is actually telling me, basically, never to wear pants?  Otherwise..what?  I'll never get a job?  So bizarre!  I think my response was probably just an "Um, okay." (with absolutely zero intention, of course, of listening to her "words of wisdom").  I felt sorry for this woman that she was still abiding by totally outdated concepts and I felt even worse for any woman that actually took her advice and believed it to be the only right way to do things.  A couple weeks later, a friend of mine went in for an interview at this same temp. agency.  I had told my friend this story and was curious if she would be told the same thing.  My friend ended up  meeting with the same woman, and yes, the woman told her the same anachronistic and sexist mantra: Pearls, Pantyhose and Pumps!  So strange.  So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment